We are on our second full week of COVID-19 quarantine, no school, non-essential businesses closed, life completely disrupted. Although it’s been quite the adjustment for everyone and we’re all anxious and fearful for the pandemic that is Coronavirus, I’m grateful that I can be home with my kids during this time.
Our attempt at homeschooling has been … interesting. I wish I had words of wisdom or could share a routine or regimen that’s been working, but really, we are in survival mode. Lots of grace, choosing to not fight every battle and doing things together that we enjoy, one of them is baking!
These banana chocolate chip muffins are super easy to make, depending on the age of your kid you can make it an educational activity too. For younger ones it’s a great opportunity to focus on fine motor skills such as measuring, leveling, pouring, cracking eggs, etc. This is a recipe that you really only need one bowl for, it’s super easy, relatively healthy and these freeze well for later!
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1.5 cups mashed ripe bananas or 3 medium bananas
- 1/4 cup milk of choice or water
- 1.75 cup sprouted whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional add in)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease your muffin/cupcake tray or insert liners. I often use silicone cupcake liners from Amazon. This recipe makes 12 muffins.
- In a large bowl whisk melted coconut oil, honey. Then add 2 eggs and mix well.Then add the mashed bananas, milk or water, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract, and salt. Mix well.
- Add flour and oats to bowl and use a large spoon to mix until combined. Add in chocolate chips or any other add-ins.
- Divide the batter among the 12 muffin cups. Fill to about 2/3 of the way.
- Bake for 22 to 24 minutes or until a an inserted toothpick comes out clean!
- Let cool on a cooling rack. These keep at room temperature for about 48 hours, fridge for 5 days or deep freezer up to 3 months.