The Fueled and Free Podcast
S1 E6: Minerals 101: The Missing Piece to Your Metabolism
Minerals 101: The Missing Piece to Your Metabolism
EPISODE 6 SHOW NOTES
What if I told you that the solution to many health issues was actually so simple and not nearly as complicated as you think? The solution: minerals.
In today’s episode, I dive deep into what minerals are and why they’re the missing link to so many of our health problems.
I chat about signs & symptoms of low minerals and break down some of the main macro minerals like magnesium, sodium, potassium, calcium and trace minerals like selenium, boron, chromium and more.
I give you practical ways that you can get started with incorporating these minerals into your daily routine.
I also answered questions i received from my instagram audience on all things minerals.
- Which type of magnesium is best during pregnancy for restless leg syndrome? Magnesium glycinate and possibly magnesium lotion on the legs. Also, how to know if you’re taking too much.
- What is the best time of day to take minerals all at once, or should certain minerals be with others at bedtime? Most minerals with the exception of magnesium are designed to increase your energy so taking them in the morning or earlier in the day is best.
- Do you have to supplement or can you get most of what you need through food? Absolutely. Most minerals cannot be adequately obtained through food alone.
- How do pregnancy and breastfeeding affect a mother’s levels? Do mothers need extra minerals? Your mineral levels are heavily affected by both pregnancy and breastfeeding, especially during the third trimester. If you can, try to be strategic with sibling spacing to allow your body time to build minerals back up as it can make a big difference in your pregnancy, your recovery, and health of baby.
- How do you know your minerals stay in balance outside of lab testing? Lab testing the only way to truly know where your levels stand. Keep in mind all mineral levels will fluctuate as you move through different events in your life like illness, high stress season, etc. Often times people ask me why test hair and not blood. I dive into the major difference and why hair testing shows better longevity.
- What are some of the causes of high calcium on a hair test? One of the things that can cause it is being exposed to excess iron and chronic stress.
- Does the hair test test for iodine? No. The only easy way to test for iodine is through your urine but knowing your iodine levels is important for many different reasons like thyroid function, baby brain development and certain cancers.
Whether you’re navigating random health symptoms (infertility, insulin resistance, low energy, sluggish energy, high cholesterol, PMS, PCOS, endometriosis, gut dysbiosis, hair loss) or you care about your longevity and how to feel your best, you won’t want to miss this episode.
Want to test your mineral levels? My 1:1 program, The Collective, includes both a hair tissue mineral analysis (HTMA) and a GI MAP stool test (gut test), details are linked here.
Or type www.fueledandfree.com into your web browser!
**Disclaimer: The information shared in this podcast is NOT meant to be taken as individual or medical advice. Please seek the advice of your physician or healthcare provider regarding any medical condition or treatment.
Resources and links mentioned in this episode:
- Concentrace Mineral drops
- Beef liver capsules
Connect with me on Instagram @margaretannpowell
For questions or suggestions about the podcast, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Lots of Love,
Hair Tissue Mineral Testing: Frequently Asked Questions
Hair tissue mineral testing was developed in the 1970's by Dr's Eck and Watts. I personally became fascinated with hair tissue mineral testing in an effort to address my own health issues. I had all the classic signs of hypothyroid and unfortunately was not getting...
How to stop adrenal fatigue hair loss (treatment)
There is absolutely nothing fun about hair loss. That experience of washing your hair in the shower, or brushing your hair before bed, and having clumps of hair fall out, it just downright stinks. I experienced significant hair loss after both pregnancies, and then...
Basal Body Temperature: Tracking for fertility and metabolic health
Chasing symptoms. That feeling of knowing something isn’t quite right but not knowing how to troubleshoot. Late night searching on google after a long day of work for answers. I was in this vicious cycle when I learned about tracking basal body temperature. It was...
Adrenal fatigue symptoms: is it a real thing?
Ever feel wired and tired? The feeling of laying down to go to sleep and you’re just so darn exhausted yet you can’t, for the life of you, fall asleep. You lay wide awake, your brain is going a million miles an hour, and you’re trying to force it to just STOP THINKING so you can for the love, go to sleep.
How Raw Carrot Helps with Estrogen Dominance
A raw carrot a day… could it really be the golden ticket to a more balanced body? According to Dr. Ray Peat, a biologist who specializes in hormone and metabolic health, the raw carrot is an affordable, easy-to-implement functional food that can improve many hormonal woes such as estrogen dominance.
How to master your menstrual cycle for productivity.
You know what’s the worst? When you’re about to get your period and you have a jam-packed schedule or a looming deadline and all you want to do is take a nap. Maybe you’re tired and overwhelmed or you’re experiencing that hormonal brain fog.
Cycle Syncing For Beginners
Optimize your productivity, energy, fitness and nutrition with cycle syncing. It helps you tune in to your hormonal fluctuations!
Am I ovulating? 4 signs to look for.
Not sure if you’re ovulating? Read this post for 4 signs to help you track your body’s ovulation!
How I meal plan for the week
Do you deal with decision fatigue when it comes to planning dinner?Me too friend! Read this blog post for my tips & tricks & ideas on how to approach meal planning for the week!
Cycle Syncing 101: Exercise
I used to be a TOTAL gym rat. I lived for 60+ minute HIIT / Bootcamp style workouts and am such a sucker for closing those rings on my apple watch. The more calories I would burn, and the higher my heart rate climbed, the more I felt I was doing my body "good". Until...
7 Benefits of Kombucha
Kombucha has many health benefits including supporting one’s gut health, aids in weight loss, digestion, strengthens immune system, fights chronic diseases and so much more.
Gluten Free Strawberry Muffins!
Have some berries that are about to spoil? This muffin recipe is so easy to make, it’s kid-friendly! Sub out strawberries for blueberries, you can also substitute fresh for frozen too!
Easy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins!
We are on our second full week of COVID-19 quarantine, no school, non-essential businesses closed, life completely disrupted. Although it’s been quite the adjustment for everyone and we’re all anxious and fearful for the pandemic that is Coronavirus, I’m grateful that I can be home with my kids during this time.
Our attempt at homeschooling has been … interesting. I wish I had words of wisdom or could share a routine or regimen that’s been working, but really, we are in survival mode. Lots of grace, choosing to not fight every battle and doing things together that we enjoy, one of them is baking!
I used to think eating “clean” had more to do with not eating too many calories and avoiding “bad” foods. I was the girl that ate a big salad for lunch every single day, avoided “treats” at all cost during the week and followed rules like: No eating after...